An oral surgeon is a specialist that operates in the face, teeth, jaws, and mouth. Though dentists can perform minor oral surgeries, they are not oral surgeons. There are symptoms where your dentist may recommend seeing an oral surgeon Fort Lauderdale especially if the pain is in the area around your mouth or face.
Common Procedures Performed by Oral Surgeons
Here are several situations where an oral and maxillofacial surgeon’s intervention is necessary.
- Tooth Extractions (impacted and wisdom tooth removal)
- Craniofacial surgery and pediatric maxillofacial surgery (Cleft Lip/Palate Surgery
- Corrective Jaw Surgery (TMJ, malocclusion or incorrect bite, bruxism)
- Facial Cosmetic Procedures (eyelid surgery, facelifts, rhinoplasties)
- Dental Implants
- Cancer Surgery
Choosing an Oral Surgeon
An oral surgeon is trained alongside medical residents in general surgery, plastic surgery such as reconstructive surgery or bone/tissue grafting, advanced anesthesia and medicine and pathology. When choosing an oral surgeon, here are key things to consider.
- Inquire about the oral surgeon’s years of experience and expertise
- Oral surgeon’s training and clinical experience in performing specific procedures you require
- Professional dental societies the oral surgeon belong to
- Continuing education courses the oral surgeon has taken
- Diagnosis and proposed treatment plan
Oral surgery is often an outpatient procedure that requires local or general anesthesia. After the operation is completed, you will be able to return home.
Preparing for Oral Surgery
For individuals requiring oral surgery, there are specific preparations you have to do before the procedure to avoid possible complications and to have speedy recovery at home. Here are simple tips in preparing for your oral surgery.
- A detailed discussion about your surgery
- Organize transportation and post-operative care in advance
- Specific diet and drinking rules
- Dress for the surgery (comfortable and loose-fitting clothing)
Schedule a Consultation
If you think you’re in need of some type of oral surgery procedure, consult with an experienced oral surgeon Fort Lauderdale by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Andrea Giraldo. We strive to provide the best dental care in Fort Lauderdale. Contact us for more information.